Dominion Rules forums > How to account for the defense against overwhelming odds

Hello,

I have been running DR for a few years now. Usually, when I see something is not very well balanced, I try to adjust it by myself until it makes more sense.

One such adjustment was the defense skills. In the original game rules, using defense skills such as dodge/parry/block, if you succeed at your skill, it is applied to everyone attacking you. This made a problem when two skilled defenders could stand up to 8 people. So, I changed it as per the offensive skills, for each opponent you want to defend against, you roll a different defense skill. And now, statistically speaking, the defense skills are not very attractive, because using block to several people, with each action giving -1 cumulative penalty, the overall penalty is too great, and the players simply lean towards the offensive skills and finish their opponent faster.

Anyone have any alternative solution to this?

May 25, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterGhost

I'm not sure I see the problem. Aren't players in RPGs supposed to put up heroic, odds-defying defences? Isn't this the stuff of legend?

May 26, 2010 | Registered CommenterDR

I would like them to be considered of the danger of masses and always be cautious. They are skilled and they can probably beat any other person in one on one, but I would rather have them not grow too cocky because nothing can touch them

May 27, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterGhost

I understand. It can be a fine line. Maybe your players just need more worthy adversaries?

May 27, 2010 | Registered CommenterDR